by Adel Manoukian
Levi Aron, the man who confessed to kidnapping, killing, and dismembering 8-year-old Leiby Kletzky last year pleaded guilty yesterday to second-degree murder and kidnapping charges. Aron will serve 25 years on the murder charge and 15 more years for kidnapping when he is officially sentenced on the 29th of August, according to the NY Post.
The diagnosed schizophrenic wanted to avoid a lengthy trial so he admitted to the crime Thursday afternoon in a ceremonial courtroom at the State Supreme Courthouse in Brooklyn. The judge asked him a series of questions pertaining to the violent crime.
The 36-year-old Brooklyn orthodox man said that he kidnapped Kletzky off the street on July 11 of last year as the boy was coming home from a religious summer day camp. Then Aron drove to a relative’s wedding upstate, leaving the boy in the car. Before his death, Kletzky was held in Aron’s Kensington apartment attic for a night. The next day, Aron fed the boy a sandwich, gave him muscle relaxants and pain killers, and then smothered him with a towel. Police later found some of the boy’s parts in Aron’s freezer and in a dumpster in Sunset Park, about two miles from Aron’s apartment.
State Assemblyman Dov Hikind told reporters he expects Aron to get a life imprisonment sentence on the the 29th, according to Gothamist reports.
The victim’s parents did not attend the hearing. Initially, deals after Aron’s arrest were not made and no plea bargain was set to be issued but they soon were at the request of Kletzky’s parents who could not endure the gruesome details of the lengthy trial.
Trackback from your site.