To the Editor:
â€œProtesters Hit Wall Street Where It Lives (Oct. 12) made me wonder if anyone noticed the irony that many of the celebrity visitors to the Occupy Wall Street protest, such as Kanye West and Russell Simmons, are multimillionaires. Democratic Congressional minority leader Nancy Pelosi (personal net worth: $35 million), who supports the protest, has raisedÂ millions ofÂ dollars in campaign contributions over recent years from the same crowd. They are all part of the 1 percent of America who Wall Street protesters claim are not paying their fair share of taxes that the other 99 percent of America contribute.
By the way, the infamous 1 percentÂ already contribute 40 percent of all taxes paid. It is the billions in taxes on profits, income and bonuses that Wall Street companies and their employees pay that fund many of the essential public services we count on from both city and state government.
Haven"t they already done enough? Can"t some of the 46 percent of Americans who pay nothing contribute something? Did the bright lights of Broadway, Hollywood hip-hop and VIP visitor celebrity status blind the protesters from their hypocrisy?
Trackback from your site.